Fireworks are believed to have started a house fire in Cottonwood.
Last Wednesday night at around 9, Cottonwood Fire personnel found smoke coming from the attached garage of a house on Elm Street. The homeowner had used a garden hose to try and put out the fire, but it was still active in a wall of the garage. Investigation revealed the fire was probably ignited by fireworks that were thrown away in a garbage can. The homeowners were advised that while consumer fireworks can be legally purchased locally, city ordinances prohibit the use of them in Cottonwood. Fire damage was contained to the garage, but there was some smoke damage within the home. The Verde Valley Fire District, Cottonwood Police, Arizona Public Service and Unisource Energy Services also responded to the incident.
The Prescott City Council meets at 1 tomorrow afternoon to get an update on the Hilton Garden Inn project.
According to City Manager Michael Lamar, since the original development agreement with WSH Hospitality was approved by Council in September, significant changes to the project and adjoining lands have occurred. For example, the total acreage has been reduced from just over 2 acres to just under that amount. The total number of hotel rooms has increased from 95 to 100 while the building height is going down from 70 to 55 feet. The Hilton Garden Inn will be located at the corner of Sheldon and Montezuma Streets, near Granite Creek Park. The Council meeting will be held at City Hall on South Cortez Street. Prior to that meeting, Council will hold a session that’s closed to the public. Members will discuss whether to join in a lawsuit or lawsuits against pharmaceutical companies for damages suffered by the City due to the opioid abuse epidemic. The meeting starts at 10 in the Lower Level Conference Room at City Hall.