Parts of I-10, I-17 and Loops 101, 202 and 303 to be closed
Phoenix-area drivers should plan ahead for a number of freeway closures this weekend (Feb. 21-24) due to a series of improvement projects in several areas.
Closures are scheduled along parts of interstates 10 and 17 as well as Loops 101, 202 and 303 so crews can do work ranging from bridge removal to pavement upgrades, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
Work schedules are subject to change or postponement due to rain. The following closures are scheduled:
- Westbound Interstate 10 closed between 83rd and 99th avenues from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Feb. 24) for work to expand traffic capacity by extending a right travel lane beyond the Loop 101 interchange. The northbound Loop 202 (South Mountain Freeway) ramp to westbound I-10 closed. Westbound I-10 on-ramps at 67th and 75th avenues closed. DETOUR: Avoid closure if possible by using alternate routes, including westbound and southbound Loop 101 in West Valley. Westbound I-10 traffic exiting at 83rd Avenue will use detour that includes westbound frontage road between 91st and 99th avenues. Note: Westbound I-10 drivers from the Tucson/Casa Grande region traveling beyond Phoenix area can consider using westbound I-8 to northbound SR 85 to avoid closure.
- Interstate 17 closed in both directions at Happy Valley Road from 10 p.m. Friday to 10 p.m. Sunday (Feb. 23) for removal of old Happy Valley Road bridge over freeway. Happy Valley Road also closed in both directions at I-17. DETOUR: I-17 traffic will detour along the off- and on-ramps at Happy Valley Road. Consider other alternate routes that include exiting ahead of the closure and using 19th Avenue in either direction between Deer Valley and Jomax roads. Use 19th Avenue to access business area east of I-17 along Happy Valley Road. Note: Happy Valley Road traffic will be switched after closures to the first half of the new bridge being constructed over I-17.
- Northbound Loop 101 (Price Freeway) closed between Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) and Ray Road in Chandler area from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Feb. 24) for freeway widening. All Loop 202 and Price Road ramps to northbound Loop 101 closed. Chandler Boulevard also closed in both directions at Loop 101. Use Frye Road to access Chandler Fashion Center. DETOUR: Alternate routes include northbound Dobson Road to westbound Ray Road to reach northbound Loop 101.
- Eastbound Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) closed between Interstate 10 and Loop 101(Price Freeway) from 8 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Feb. 24) for pavement improvements. All I-10 ramps to eastbound Loop 202 closed. DETOUR: Alternate routes include eastbound Elliot or Ray roads for eastbound travel in the Chandler area. Eastbound Loop 202 (South Mountain Freeway) traffic in the Ahwatukee area will have access to east- or westbound I-10. I-10 drivers also can consider using eastbound US 60 (Superstition Freeway) while eastbound Loop 202 closure is in place.
- Northbound Loop 303 closed between Cactus and Waddell roads from 10 p.m. Friday to noon Saturday (Feb. 22) for installation of traffic flow sensors as part of freeway technology project. Northbound Loop 303 on-ramp at Peoria Avenue also closed. Northbound Loop 303 also closed between Greenway and Bell roads from 10 p.m. Saturday to noon Sunday (Feb. 23). Northbound Loop 303 on-ramp at Waddell Road closed. DETOUR: Traffic will detour on local streets during each closure.Additional information about planned weekend freeway restrictions will be included in ADOT’s Weekend Freeway Travel Advisory on Thursday (Feb. 20).
You can track real-time highway conditions on ADOT’s Arizona Traveler Information site at az511.gov or by calling 511 and by following ADOT’s Twitter feed (@ArizonaDOT).
ADOT plans and constructs new freeways, additional lanes and other improvements as part of the Maricopa Association of Governments’ Regional Transportation Plan approved by county voters in 2004. More information about ADOT projects and the regional plan is available at azdot.gov/projects.