Thousands of people gathered together at the Courthouse Square for the Election Eve Rally with Governor Doug Ducey and other Republican state candidates.
The tradition was started by Senator Barry Goldwater, who announced the start of his political campaigns at the steps of the Yavapai County Courthouse. Senator John McCain continued the tradition for his election campaigns. Now, every two years, the tradition is carried out by local and statewide Republicans.
People came for various reasons. One attendee said he had recently moved here, having previously lived in California and Illinois. Noting that he was a registered Independent, he said he believed it was time that he did his part. “I support Martha McSally and I support Governor Ducey,” he said.
Dubbed the “Victory Tour,” it was an Arizona Republican’s Who’s Who on the platform Friday night. Arizona Republican Party Chairman Jonathan Lines introduced the speakers:
- Representative Paul Gosar
- Arizona State Treasurer candidate and Senator Kimberly Lee
- Arizona Secretary of State candidate Steve Gaynor
- Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction candidate Frank Riggs
- Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich
- Arizona State Senator Jon Kyl
- Arizona Representative and candidate for US Senator Martha McSally
- Arizona Governor Doug Ducey
This year it was especially poignant and personal as Cindy McCain spoke a few words in honor of Senator John McCain, who passed away on August 25, 2018.
Did you miss the Rally? No worries, Making a Scene Productions was there and has uploaded the video from last night’s event. Watch it here!