Today: Nov 21 , 2018

Fire in Coyote Springs Home Made of Straw & Hay Bales
Featured

24 February 2018   Fire Marshal Rick Chase

All occupants safely exited the home.

On February 22, 2018 at 3:33 p.m. Central Arizona Fire crews responded to a residential structure fire on Mummy View Dr. in the Coyote Springs area.  As crews arrived they found heavy smoke coming from the eves of the residence with a fully engulfed attic fire.  

The home’s exterior walls were built out of straw hay bales with a stucco exterior and drywall interior.  This made it difficult for firefighters to access all of the smoldering areas within the walls.  Firefighters spent several hours assisting the occupants in retrieving their personal belongings from the home and extinguishing hot spots and hidden fires that were contained within the walls.  The last crew on the scene left at midnight. 

The occupants all safely evacuated the home.  The fire was accidentally started by a plumber who was sweating copper pipes in the kitchen area.  The fire quickly moved up the interior portion of the walls and into the attic.  Assistance from YCSO, ACT Volunteers, American Red Cross and PRCC helped mitigate the incident.