Shortly before 7pm Thursday evening the Prescott Regional Communications Center received a report that a 32-year-old female hiker on the popular Flume Trail near Watson Lake was experiencing an allergic reaction and had stopped breathing. Prescott Fire Department engines 73 and 74 were dispatched to the trail as well as the department’s technical rescue support vehicle and on-duty battalion chief. The engine crews and two Lifeline employees carried their EMS equipment as well as a Stokes basket roughly a quarter mile up the trail and located the patient. The patient was not in respiratory arrest but was having a medical issue and had started to attempt to hike back out. The crews assessed the patient and transferred her to the Stokes basket at which point the eight personnel carried her back down the trail to the ambulance. She was then transported to Yavapai Regional Medical Center for further treatment.
None of the firefighters or Lifeline personnel were injured during the rescue. As always, the fire department wishes to remind hikers to be prepared for the possibility of injury while on the trail systems. Adequate water and food, first aid kit, spare warm clothes, flashlight, matches, and a fully charged cell phone are a minimum. Hikers with known severe allergic reactions should also consider carrying an Epi-pen with them. They can obtain a prescription for the device through their physician.