PRESCOTT, AZ (January 14, 2016) – In celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, The U.S. Forest Service, including the Prescott National Forest will waive the $5.00 fees at day-use recreation sites on January 18, 2016. The fee waiver day is the first of five such days offered by the agency during 2016.
As part of this nationwide event fees will be waived at the following sites:
- Lynx Lake Recreation Area: North Shore, South Shore and Lynx Creek Ruin
- Granite Basin Recreation Area: Cayuse, Wekuvde, Boat Launch, Playa, and Metate
- Thumb Butte Recreation Area
- Alto Pit OHV Recreation Area: Day Use Site
- Hayfield Draw OHV Recreation Area
Other scheduled fee-free days observed by the Forest Service in 2016 are President's Day February 15; National Get Outdoors Day on June 11; National Public Lands Day on September 24; and Veterans Day November 11.
Fees are waived generally for day-use areas, such as picnic grounds, developed trailheads and destination visitor centers. The waiver does not apply to overnight campgrounds, group use fees or fees charged by concession-operated facilities. Contact your local national forest or grassland to learn if your destination requires a fee and if that fee is waived.
Visitors of the Prescott National Forest can obtain additional information via the following:
- Prescott NF Forest Website: http://www.fs.usda.gov/prescott/
- Bradshaw Ranger District, (928) 443-8000
- Chino Valley Ranger District (928) 777-2200
- Verde Ranger District (928) 567-4121