Yavapai College wants residents of all ages to share what they are especially good at – unicycling, acrobatics, yodeling and more -- for a chance to star in the inaugural “Prescott’s Got Talent” competition.
“Prescott’s Got Talent” is one of multiple YC 50th anniversary kickoff events happening Saturday, Aug. 25, on the Prescott campus. The show will take place at noon during a celebratory block party and will feature the top contestants advancing from preliminary auditions on Aug. 16. The contestant application deadline is Aug. 10.
The only requirements for potential “Prescott’s Got Talent” acts: Contestants must be Yavapai County residents; the performance must be suitable for a family audience; and the performance must be less than five minutes in length, not including a two-minute setup period. The use of knives, fire, pyrotechnics, smoke effects or other dangerous material which could cause injury to performers or audience members is prohibited.
All ages are welcome to try out, although the parents of contestants under age 18 must sign the application on the youngster’s behalf. Everyone who auditions will be notified of the results. There is no charge for entering, but the top three finishers in the contest finals will earn prizes.
A panel of three judges will evaluate contestants on the following criteria:
- Creativity 20%
- Difficulty of Act 20%
- Stage Presence 20%
- Technical Ability 20%
- Overall performance 20%
For additional details about the “Prescott’s Got Talent” contest and a contestant application, http://50th.yc.edu/.
Along with the “Prescott’s Got Talent” show, the Prescott campus 50th anniversary kickoff will feature:
- a fun-run benefiting student scholarships and student academic organizations
- a performance by the local, award-winning band, Sugar & The Mint
- food trucks, children’s activities and local vendor booths
- the 2018 home opener for YC Men’s Soccer at Ken Lindley Field
- a sold-out performance by comedian Jay Leno at the YC Performing Arts Center
Every YC campus and center is hosting a 25th anniversary celebration late this summer and fall. Following are the celebration dates. A full schedule, some YC history and up-to-the-minute celebration details are available on the YC 50th Anniversary website: 50th.yc.edu.
- Prescott Valley Center, Sept. 15
- Career and Technical Education Center (near the Prescott Airport), Sept. 29
- Verde Valley Campus (Clarkdale), Oct. 20
- Chino Valley Agribusiness Center, Oct. 27
- Sedona Center, Nov. 3