These days, our lives are so dependent upon technology that when one of our devices doesn’t work, it creates a major problem and, needless to say, a ton of frustration. The good news is that many of the most common computer problems are fixable and you can do the fixing yourself!! So, before you take your computer for repairs, or worse yet, run out an buy a new one, take a look at the following list of the most common PC problems that you may be able to fix at home.
BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE, TRY THIS
Simply restart your computer. Most of us rarely turn off our computers. We just walk away and let them go to sleep. Then, we sit back down, give a quick wiggle of the mouse or touch of the keyboard to wake it up, then we are happily back surfing the web again. This can go on for weeks, or even months. It may be time to restart your computer if things are running a bit wonky.
CHECK FOR SOFTWARE UPDATES
When is the last time you updated your computer software? Running out of date software may be the cause of your PC running poorly. Of course, if you really don’t know how to update your operating system, speaking with your local computer expert at SofTech Computers of Prescott may be a good call.
BEWARE OF THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH
If you suddenly see a blue screen with white text, this is the dreaded BSoD, or Blue Screen of Death, also known as a “stop error”. This doesn’t happen as often as it used to, but it still does happen, so you need to know what to do when it does. The first time it happens, you may be able to get rid of it by rebooting the computer and hope that your important files were saved on your hard drive. However, if it continues to happen, something needs to be done to fix it.
COMPUTER WON’T START
There are several scenarios to consider when your computer won’t start:
1) Make sure you have actually turned the power on! This seems obvious, but sometimes it is the cause of the computer not starting up. Hint: check all power buttons and switches and don’t forget to check that the power strip is on if you are using one.
2) Check your power cable to make sure that it is firmly plugged directly into the wall receptacle, and determine that the receptacles on both the wall and the computer are undamaged and are working properly.
3) Replace the power cable or the AC adapter. (A non-functioning AC adapter is a common cause for the computer to not start.)
The best way to address the issue of lost files is to not lose them in the first place. Using a back-up for your hard drive is well worth the cost, and will prevent the loss of important information. However there are steps to follow if you don’t have back-up:
1) First, check your recycle bin. If your files are there, right click them and select Restore.
2) If you can’t find your files in the Recycle Bin, you can try using recovery software. If this is above your pay grade, time to call SofTech Computers of Prescott.
HTTP ERROR 404 (Page Not Found)
This is a common error message. Dealing with it can be very simple.
Try the following solutions:
1) Make sure you typed the address of the page you are trying to find in the browser correctly. (This is a common cause.)
2) Check the accuracy of the link you used to retrieve the page you are looking for. If you typed in the wrong URL, try doing a search for the page using a search engine like Google. This will often solve the problem.
The above are common problems that have simple fixes. For more complicated issues, or for fixes you do not feel confident about fixing yourselves, see you local computer repair expert at SofTech Computers of Prescott.
More on Softech:
We are your one-stop for technology help! Providing computers and technical services to the Prescott area since 1996. Contact us today and let us help make the digital age work for you!