[Editor’s Note: This article is from Rep. Gosar’s weekly newsletter.]
This week, I cosponsored H.R. 6056, the Parents Bill of Rights Act, to defend mom’s and dad’s fundamental rights against efforts to shut them out of their kid’s education. Parents have a right to know what is being taught in the classroom and certainly have the right to speak out at school board meetings without fear of being labelled domestic terrorists by Mr. Biden’s Justice Department. Our public schools are being attacked and infiltrated by woke bureaucrats and leftist radicals pushing Marxist critical race theory into the curriculums.
The Parents’ Bill of Rights Act will empower parents to enforce the following rights against school systems receiving federal dollars:
- The right to know what their minor child is being taught in school, including, but not limited to, curricula, books, and other instructional materials.
- The right to information on who is teaching their minor child, including guest lecturers and outside presenters.
- The right to information on individuals and organizations receiving school contracts and funding.
- The right to visit the school and check in on their minor child during school hours.
- The right to all school records, medical or otherwise, concerning their minor child.
- The right to information about the collection and transmission of their minor child’s data.
- The right to have sufficient accountability and transparency regarding school boards.
- The right to know about situations affecting their minor child’s safety in school.
Parents will be empowered to sue schools that do not protect these rights for injunctive relief. A pattern of such violations in a particular jurisdiction will trigger major reductions in federal education funding.
This common-sense legislation gives control back to parents by enforcing the right to know what child is being taught in school and I am proud to join this legislation to assist this effort.